Friday, July 31, 2015

Can everyone please stay home more?

Joe and I seem to be busy....constantly.  This is our own doing, of course we have to go to work every day whether we like it or not but our nights and weekends are filled with happy hours, dinner with friends, rugby practice, volunteering, and on the nights that we are actually both home together we spend most of our time doing chores.  The laundry needs to be done, the floors need to be cleaned, the toilets need to be scrubbed...we almost never have a night to just completely relax. But the nights that we do manage to clear our schedules and ignore our chores are my absolute favorite...so why don't we do it more?

For one, I have serious fear of missing out. If I skipped a party with my friends and it ended up being one filled with great memories, I know I would regret it.  At the same time, when I come home on Sunday after a weekend with my friends feeling hungover and exhausted knowing a pile of laundry and a dirty house are waiting for me at home...I tend to regret that too. It's a real catch 22.

But it's also really important to me to maintain the friendships I have.  I have very few close friend where we live in CT, and my closest girlfriends from college live in the Boston area.  It's hard to keep up with everyone and make it to all their big events and have girls weekends to catch up with each other when we all have other friends and families and homes to maintain, but at the same time I know I want to have these friendships in 10, 20, 30 years so the effort to get together is important and necessary. Joe and I spend at least 1 weekend a month off on an adventure with our college friends and another weekend every month doing something with our families.

We haven't even gotten to my commitment to the National Guard 1 weekend every month. This weekend just so happens to be my guard weekend which means I am working 12 straight days without a break (every month people).  Joe is off at our friends' wedding on the cape which I have to skip for my military commitment. But this means not only do I have to miss out on all the fun but I have to work all day Saturday and Sunday AND I have to take care of both dogs, do all the laundry and all the cleaning that Joe normally helps out with when I am at drill.  Next week we already have after work plans lined up every day but Monday.  When I was closer to 21 I would have just said I'll sleep when I'm dead, but now that I'm closer to 30 than 21 all this running around makes me exhausted all the time!

When we got Coby I thought, great, this means we have an excuse to come home every night and not stay over places any more...but that proved not to be the case.  When we got Otto last weekend I actually panicked because we have weekend plans every weekend for the next month and I wasn't sure if he'd be welcome on all our adventures, but we can't leave him so we'd be forced to cancel if we couldn't bring him.  I love being home, but I hate missing out.  So to all my friends, let's just Facetime with our dogs to catch up and all stay home a little more :)

No comments:

Post a Comment