Tuesday, October 13, 2015

I love college...

It is no secret that the 4 years I spent at Bryant were pretty much the best years of my life.  They weren't particularly productive years and I made by far my worst decisions during that time; but I learned so much about myself during that time and when I wasn't busy regretting the night before I was having the absolute time of my life. I don't know if going to Bryant made the difference or if I would have had a similar experience at any college but I know I wouldn't trade those four years for anything...even if I knew what Joe and I would be paying in student loans every month I think I still would have done it exactly the same.

Look at me on graduation morning...that's clearly someone who had a good 4 years.
This weekend we are going to our 5 year reunion...I can't believe it's been that long since we entered the real world.  There are still mornings I wake up and think, "nope...too tired/hungover, not making it to class today" quickly followed up by, "shit...I'm an adult...I can't just skip work."  My best friends are all from Bryant, my husband...is a guy I met at Bryant (but thankfully did not start dating until after we graduated and I got some things out of my system).  But it's funny to me how many people from my class that I don't know, despite relatively small class sizes at Bryant.  I was so focused on my own group (rugby...duh!) that I didn't care to get to know anyone outside that circle.  Talking to friends or even co-workers, someone from my year at Bryant will come up in conversation and it will always go something like "Oh come on you must know them, they were friends with so and so? they lived on your floor sophomore year?" and usually the answer is "Seriously unless they played rugby...nope."
Of course I got to know some of my neighbors and people in my classes...and I recognize an awful lot of faces but the only people I really got to know were rugby players and my roommates.  I only hung out with rugby girls, I only dated rugby guys (good thing things worked out with Joe because I was running out of options there).
Today, almost all of my best friends are people I met at Bryant...but I was a bitch to some of them when we were in school because they weren't part of my rugby group.  By the same token some people I played alongside on the rugby field, I hope to never see again. It's made me stop and think twice about the people I am friends with and how I treat the people around me.  I always say I wouldn't change any of my past decisions because they made me who I am today, but I wish I could take back the way I treated some people in college. Other than that...I can't WAIT to go back this weekend and pretend to be a 21 year old college student all over again...seriously we're starting the tailgate at 9:30....

No comments:

Post a Comment