Sunday, December 6, 2015

Christmas? More list STRESSmas

The waitresses said it best in their song Christmas Wrapping, "BAH HUMBUG, no that's too strong...cuz it is my favorite holiday...but all this year's been a busy blur don't think I have the energy to add to my already mad rush just cuz it's tis the season"

Those who know me know how much I LOVE CHRISTMAS! I love the decorations and the festivities, but most of all I love the giving spirit of Christmas. When I was a kid, it was amazing, so many people gave me gifts and I didn't have to do anything! As an adult, the season is much more stressful.  Rather than counting down to Santa's arrival, I am trying to figure out how to bake cookies for the half dozen parties I have to go to (some of them are legit obligations, others I actually enjoy), what gifts everyone on my list will enjoy (and won't send me to the poor house), and how to spread our precious holiday time amongst different family and friends.  I understand the Waitresses sentiment now, and people seem a lot less giving around this season viewed through the eyes of an adult rather than a child. People get downright feisty over everything from the gifts you give them to the amount of time you spend (or don't spend) with them. It's impossible to make everyone happy, and if you try too hard you will certainly make yourself miserable in the process.

Joe and I seem to be busy constantly. This is mostly self inflicted, and most of our commitments are social rather than work obligations, but I also work two jobs (the National Guard is a time commitment!) and go to grad school.  I have final papers due from now through mid-December, we have puppy class with Otto every week, I volunteer one night a week...and when you add in holiday decorating, shopping, and party prep on top of that it's more daunting than enjoyable. I remember I used to love Christmas because it seemed like a day when everything stopped. My parents didn't talk about work for a day, no one asked us about our homework, we just got to spend time with our family and play with all our new toys...what more could a kid want?  Now I know that nothing really ever stops. Even if I'm not at work, my emails and work issues are never completely removed from my mind. (I used to work a job when I was actually either in the office or on call on Christmas day...thank goodness those days are over!)  No one chauffeurs me an hour to and from my Grandma's house on Christmas anymore while I listen to a new CD from Santa in the back seat. This year Joe and I will spend closer to 7 hours of Christmas day in the car going to my Grandma's and the nice thing to do would be to split up the driving.

The point is, like most things in life, the holidays get harder as you get older.  It's great to make your own adult decisions but it can be hard when you have to choose between family gatherings and you feel like no matter what someone is upset. You spend hours of time and hundreds of dollars buying gifts and someone is always disappointed with what you got them. It's almost enough to make you want to skip Christmas! But don't fall into that temptation. If you have too many places to go, be glad there are so many people that love you and want to see you. If you have too many gifts to buy...just don't! The people who love you might be annoyed, but at the end of the day no one loves you because of the gifts you buy them. I like Christmas because I think it brings out the best in people, it encourages a giving spirit, and general good cheer. Be giving of your time and your love during the holiday season. Remember when your Aunt Mildred asks for the 15th time why you haven't popped out 5 babies yet and you think you might lose it that "Family is family in church or in prison, you get what you get and you don't get to pick 'em. They might smoke like chimneys but they'd give you their kidneys." And when you're feeling rushed or overwhelmed this season, listen to these two songs to get you through:

Christmas Wrapping

Family is Family


No comments:

Post a Comment