Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Backyard Chickens

About 3 months ago my husband and I got 4 hens. He grew up on a farm (I did NOT) and has been talking about getting chickens since we bought a house, I thought it seemed kind of cool and who wouldn't want fresh organic eggs everyday; so I agreed.  It was pretty easy to get set up. We ordered a chicken coop from amazon for just under $300, got our 4 hens at age 20 weeks old from a local farmer for about $20 each and after a trip to tractor supply for about $80 worth of feed and other supplies we were off! Within a month Suzy, Ruth, Penny and Rose were each laying an egg a day...4 eggs a day for us!  We try to eat eggs for breakfast a few days a week, but we found we quickly amassed many more eggs than we could eat just frying a few at a time for breakfast. We give about a dozen a week away (which I enjoy because people get so excited when they get some farm fresh eggs), but in an effort to get a little more bang for our chicken buck, I've been trying new dishes that incorporate eggs for dinner!! Check out my chickens and my recipes here.


No comments:

Post a Comment